Saturday, April 19, 2008

Vanity and Happiness

My good friend Ron told me the other day that his favorite quote is from Glen Close in Dangerous Liaisons:  "Happiness and vanity are incompatible."

I had been telling him how uncomfortable it is for me to go out in public because I feel as though people are staring and it hurts my pride.  Ron reminded me that my blog is all about how happy I am right now.  Gotta love that Glen.  She is always right.

I was telling this to my nurse on Thursday as she was injecting me with chemo.  She said, "I'll inject this happiness into you, it will give you your hair, weight, and color back, and then you can have both."

Also on Thursday, my oncologist gave me some great news.  The PET Scan came back completely negative from cancer.  I still will have the remaining four months of treatments because my bone marrow is still probably infected, but that is not a problem for me, particularly if I stay feeling this well.

I have had so many people send me emails saying that they cried when they heard that news. I am so blessed to have so many wonderful people love me.  I won't forget this as long as I live.

Now here comes a statement that I cannot believe I am going to type . . . . "Am I the only person on this earth who has loved having cancer?"  As I have said on here before, it has generated so many gifts.  The people that have flown to see me, the friends that constantly call to help, the writing, art and photos I have created, and most of all the appreciation for things that matter.  It takes a major force to get us to slow our lives down to this pace and makes us appreciate the smaller things that are so beautiful around us, and IN US.

Most of my family and friends know that I spent much of last year beginning to develop an new company that would design a series of national seminars to help people create second careers.  It's called NEXT.  For whatever reasons, many older adults, particularly Baby Boomers, decide to discover within themselves something that is more important to dedicate their lives towards.  They may be retiring and yet not ready to stop working, or they might want to simply rethink their futures.

This is one of my favorite lines from the business plan, written by one of our Board members:
"Through self discovery, we can learn to reach into our true selves and pull out the notepad of our lives upon which to write our NEXT story.  Everything we ARE can lead us to where we should BE.  If we trust it."

Nothing has become more real for me in these past few months than that statement.  Although our seminars will be one to three days, mine will be eight months.  I am hoping that I as I re-enter the workforce, it can somehow be a sequel to what I have learned.  NEXT will be the perfect opportunity to help others through this experience.

Vain rhymes with pain.  Happiness rhymes with (Sappiness and crappyness?)  Oh well, it started good.


No comments: