Monday, April 21, 2008

Breast Milk and Nuns

I apologize to so many of you who have tried to comment on here.  I realized that I have had my settings to only allow members to comment.  From now on, everyone can speak up.

Now Billy be back to blogging . . . 

Many good friends have offered meals, rides, and many other kind gestures, but one close friend truly takes the cake.  She has offered her breast milk.  Research is showing that human breast milk is healing for certain types of cancer.  After asking my oncologist,  I might just add this to the list of B-12, Alabama mud, biofeedback, reiki, and acupuncture.  One patient reported that it tastes a bit sour, but when mixed into a smoothie . . . . not so bad.  Immediately my head goes to the formation of a new Southern California Smoothie chain of stores.  And I'll open up the comment board to suggestions for a name.

Completely new and unrelated subject . . . 

I have a great aunt who is a Catholic nun and will be turning 90 years old next week.  She is a very special person who has helped me a lot lately.  She and my father were exactly the same age and grew up together.  I asked her at Dad's funeral about her fondest memory of him.  She said laughing and playing in the watermelon patch as children.

Yesterday she sent me the following email.  (Yes, she's 90 and emails me several times a week.)  It sums up everything I have written on this blog.  Sister Aniceta is a cancer survivor and she understands.

"I asked God to give me happiness.
God said, 'No.'
I give you blessings;
Happiness is up to you.

I asked God to spare me pain.
God said, 'No.'
Suffering draws you apart from worldly cares,
and brings you closer to me."


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love my breast milk with granola...and a man. Is that wrong?