Thursday, April 24, 2008

Love and Be Positive

This morning I went to the dentist to have my teeth cleaned -- a recommendation from my oncologist to help fight bacteria.  My dentist asked me a very thought provoking question; "What lesson have you learned from cancer that will change your life permanently?  Say ahhh, and contemplate."  Who knew I would get cleaning and therapy in one session?

The drill, the scraper, and the polish are all gone and I'm still contemplating.  I want to believe that the many tremendous blessings I have learned will not fade to black when I re-enter the work world.

I hope that the biggest lesson I have learned is to continue to think positively.  Without doubt, I have created a new future committed to allowing myself to love and to accept love, or at least to work on developing such an outcome.  That pledge, combined with an ability to think positively, will be the lesson I hope I never forget.  Thank you once again John for your 1989 reminder, "The future is always beautiful if you choose to see it that way."

And I end with another wonderful quote from Scott Hamilton, a cancer survivor, with a similar attitude . . . 
"With what I've endured, if I can be happy, anyone can.  I'm a short, bald, half-neutered, chemo-d, radiated, male figure skater.  What choice do I have but to be optimistic?"


No comments: