Sunday, October 26, 2008

Trust

I found a small store in Venice (CA, not Italy) last week that sells pins called "Blessing Rings." I bought one to wear around my neck that says, "New Beginning."

All of us question our future, and in this economy, I am certainly not alone in wondering about my immediate future. I have been given a new life and I don't take that lightly. I want to be certain that what I do with it has a purpose to honor my recovery. We all have interruptions in our lives, and if we look back on them, they were usually direct blessings. They often change our direction in a positive way, once we get through the uncertainty.

One of my favorite quotes, by Sandra Watson, is "The real issue is not about whether the door is opening or closing, but how you deal with the hell in the hallway!"

I'm hoping to continue my work in developing seminars which would assist people in discovering new careers and purpose, and I have been working on two or three other projects as well, but it's just a part of the human brain to worry.

I have blogged several times about changing that word "worry" to "trust."  Two days after I bought the pin, I flipped it over and on the back, in very small engraved type, it says, "Trust and Believe." You can't stop me . . . I'm taking that as a sign. A sign of what, I don't know, but it's definitely a sign.

There is a great song that I listen to often. (Ignore the fact that is is from the musical "Hairpsray.")  Queen Latifah sings the ever-lovin' poop out of it. The title is "I Know Where I'm Going 'Cause I Know Where I've Been." These are some of my favorite lyrics:

There's a light
Burning bright
Showing me the way

There's a cry
In the distance
It's a voice
That comes from deep within
There's a cry
Asking why
I pray the answer's up ahead
'Cause I know where I've been

There's a road
We've been travelin'
Lost so many on the way
But the riches
Will be plenty
Worth the price
We had to pay.

There's a dream
In the future
There's a struggle
We have yet to win
And there's a pride
In my heart
'Cause I know
Where I'm going
And I know where I've been.

There's a road
We must travel
There's a promise
We must make
'Cause the riches
Will be plenty
Worth the risk
And the chances that we take
There's a dream
In the future
There's a struggle
We have yet to win

Use that pride
In our hearts
To lift us up
To tomorrow

I know where I'm going
'Cause Lord knows 
I know where I've been

2 comments:

Ronni Gordon said...

Hi Bill,
Thanks for the song.
I think maybe we should talk about writing a book together. I have some ideas but I don't see an e-mail here for you. Could you e-mail me? My address is on my blog. Or else if you put your e-mail address on your profile I'll find it and e-mail you that way.
Ronni

Anonymous said...

Bill, you are blessed with so many talents. You are a terrific writer and a wonderful speaker. Passion like yours is truly remarkable. Whatever you do, please don't stop the bloggs. I really look forward to reading them and then I get to think about what they mean to me and my life experience. For me it is a time out to smell all the flowers.

Elaine