Sunday, October 12, 2008

Pump Up The Volume

This is my second week back at the gym. I should feel great about that. Yeah right. Here I am, skinny, pale, and just coming out of chemo, going to a gym in the middle of West Hollywood during the afternoon hours when all the actors and models are pumping up. I know this is the point in the blog where I should go into a deep and positive lesson about the beauty of what we have inside. To hell with that. I want to look like them!

I try to convince myself that most of these "actors and models" are actually hustlers and out-of-work wanna-be's, but who cares. They look great. I've always said that if you would or could trade places with someone, you have to take the entire person, you can't just take a part of them. OK. I'll still trade.

Many years ago, I wrote a silly little book called, "Gym Shorts."  It was one-liners that I overheard at the gym. These are a few of my favorite quotes. The first one was the impetus for the book. I heard it at the water fountain, wrote it down, and decided to start listening for others. So from the stair masters to the hair blasters, here are a few:

"Well he might have gotten so drunk that he threw up all over your sofa, but God love him, he brought a casserole."

"He actually told the salesman he wanted a sexual sofa.  The salesman said, 'You mean a sectional sofa.'  He said, 'No. I just want an occasional piece in the living room.'"

"She was lying curled up on the floor in a heap at the party, so I kicked her and said, 'Baby Jessica got sympathy, but she was younger, cuter, contorted, and bandaged.'"

"I've got to stop drinking so much Diet Coke. Someone told me yesterday . . . I don't remember who . . . that sacarin makes you forget stuff.'"

"The sign says 'Improper behavior will result in the loss of club privileges.' I thought improper behavior was the only club privilege we had."

(Pointing to a guy doing leg exercises . . . ) "Do I see a dangling participle?"  (Answer . . .) "Shut up or I'm gonna misplace your modifier."

"He's not just gaining weight, he's starting his own zip code."

"You should have your portrait done on the decline bench. All your wrinkles disappear."


4 comments:

Jennie Macaluso said...

I look forward to your blog everyday. This day I needed it more because midterms and essays are coming up and I have a lot on my plate taking 17 units. When I need your blogs you always put a smile on my face :) I need your blogs everyday. I hope I can come down to see you in LA next month. I hope your doing better you sound like it :)

Anonymous said...

Bill ... you said, "I try to convince myself that most of these "actors and models" are actually hustlers and out-of-work wanna-be's, but who cares. They look great. I've always said that if you would or could trade places with someone, you have to take the entire person, you can't just take a part of them. OK. I'll still trade."

No you wouldn't ... and you shouldn't. You are such a caring person ... have a love for life ... a sincere appreciation and love of your friends. What you have is rare. I know you're joking ... still ... you would NOT be happy with such a poor trade!

Ronni Gordon said...

Hi Bill,
I saw your blog on Carl's page and started reading from the bottom up. I really like it and plan to keep reading. We both started our blogs on the same day. It sounds like many of our themes are similar, too. Hope you'll drop in for a "visit."

Ronni
runnerwrites.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Billy Bird,
I just clicked over here from Ronni's site.

My favorite "gym short": I like to exercise because I get a dolphin high. (I think she meant endorphin.)

Love your humor and outlook and will check back.

Susan