Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Completely Mindless Blog

It was 100 degrees in LA yesterday.  Too hot to sit at home with no air conditioning, so I went to the Beverly Center to see a movie. Eating in the food court before the movie, I noticed an older man, sitting alone and obviously having trouble swallowing.  I felt so sorry for him. And then it occurred to me . . . I am an older man, sitting alone, and having trouble swallowing. About that time, he started talking to himself and I felt much better.

Or did I? He got up four times to get Haagan-Dazs ice cream. That's a lot of ice cream. And yet I know how good that feels when you have mouth sores or can't swallow.

I couldn't stop thinking about him during the movie. He looked like such a sweet old man. He's probably somebody's father, somebody's uncle, somebody's best friend. Why was he at the mall? Why was he dressed up in a suit and tie? Who the hell was he talking to?

I thought about him again on the drive home, I'm writing about him here, and I have come to one conclusion.  I need to get a job.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi again from NC ... still enjoying your blog entries and appreciate your writing style, sense of humor, and your way with words. Noticing the elderly gentleman in the food court just reinforces my feeling that you have a sincere concern about others. Keep it up ...

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill,
I thought of you this weekend and this post from awhile ago. I was in London this weekend, enjoying a terrific weekend getaway with Jim & Benny. We ran into Starbucks... cuz they are everywhere!!.... anyway, I saw a man with a baseball hat with no hair and very red eyes. I thought of you in at the mall. I would love to tell you I was able to catch his eye and give him a warm smile, but we never connected. But I gave him a big prayer right then and there and you too... I'm so happy you are finished with chemo and your hair is growing back. BTW, loved the photos of you in Disneyland.... really made me smile... You are looking good, friend... and not sooooo skinny, remember you always have been a bean pole!! Hugs from Switzerland, Ang

Anonymous said...

Opulently I assent to but I dream the brief should secure more info then it has.