Thursday, October 23, 2008

I WAS Happy

My favorite blogging topic has been "Happiness," what makes us happy, and how do we maintain a certain level of happiness. My friend Reese sent me another link the other day to an article about our favorite subject.

The article, repeated a few basics; happiness is not relative to others' happiness, (We know that the opposite is true.  If you base your happiness on others, you'll never be happy), happiness fluctuates, happiness is difficult to measure, age brings more happiness (so why do we regret getting older?), and most of all, you can't teach happiness.

Then the article began to list the categories of people who are the happiest . . . .

1) Women are happier than men. (One mark against me.)
2) Baby Boomers are the unhappiest generation living today. (Oops. Two down.)
3) Those over 65 are the happiest. (I'm not doing so well.)
4) Parents are much happier than those without children. (I'm doomed to sadness.)
5) Purpose makes us happy, like work, religion, or politics. (Doomed. Doomed. Doomed.)
6) Those who lean to the right politically are happier (Super doomed.)
7) Extremists in politics are happy. (I quit. I'm very sad now.)

It concludes that the strongest key to happiness lies within our sense of purpose outside ourselves, like children, volunteerism, or politics.

It also says it is essential that we are content with our lot in life and who we are. I was just fine with that until I read this article!

3 comments:

Ronni Gordon said...

Like you've said, happiness, or pain, or sadness, or whatever, varies according to each individual. Forget the generalities. Keep on being happy!

Anonymous said...

You need to delete that article. It sounds like a lot of BS to me. Where do they do those surveys, on the back of cereal boxes? And by the way, those leaning to the right do not look too happy right now.

I believe the key to happiness is the way we look at life. That includes our helping others and a positive outlook. When we hit a wall, do we find a way to go around it, or do we resign ourselves to staying on the other side.

After listening to you speak Bill, no one can tell you anything about happiness.In fact, you can teach the class.

Elaine

Anonymous said...

Gee Bill ... did your tongue get caught up in your cheek? LOL ... enjoyed your humor once again!