Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Along The Road

If you have been reading my blog, you have seen comments from Doc B. He has become a true friend and motivator, even though we have never met. His notes always cheer me up because I know they come from his heart.

Doc B's been holding out on me.  Until today, he had not shared one of his favorite poems. I love it because it sums up several months of my thoughts . . . 

ALONG THE ROAD

I walked a mile with Pleasure
She chattered all the way,
But left me none the wiser
For all she had to say.

I walked a mile with Sorrow,
And ne'er a word said she.
But oh, the things I learned from her
When Sorrow walked with me!

I've written before about my grandmother and her religious belief that we are all meant to suffer for the souls in Purgatory, (April 8th, "Don't They Have Vicodin In Purgatory?") so I don't necessarily translate the word "Sorrow" in the poem to mean suffering. Rather,  in my mind it means challenges or that unexpected turn onto a highway that will reveal it's destination later.

Thank you, Doc B.

On a similar note, I had lunch today with a wonderful new friend who is writing a script about cancer.  During her questions, she asked me if there were things I did this year on a whim. Did I ever say, "Oh what the hell, I've got cancer and so I'm going to . . . .?"

On the drive home, I decided I didn't do that enough.  So tomorrow I'm going to Disneyland. Just because I can. I have written so much about all the things that make us happy, so I'll sit and write a blog from "The Happiest Place on Earth."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed perhaps my favorite poem ... and I interpret "sorrow" as you do.

The poem is written by:

ROBERT BROWNING HAMILTON

I look forward to your blog from the happiest place on earth ... other than my home of course.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your blogg today Bill. After I read it, I had a thought of you on a national commercial. " Bill now that you have had a serious bout with cancer and survived it, what are you going to do now ? I'm going to Disneyland !!!!! "

Actually I do love that place, especially this time of year, especially the " Jack ride " that was Haunted Mansion. I hope you have too much fun!

Elaine

Ronni Gordon said...

Have fun in Disneyland!

Thanks for your comment about the importance of trust. I had a pretty nerve-wracking clinic visit and met up with a friend afterwards who told me just about the same thing. Just finished the post. Today I tried and I can see that it works.

Susan C said...

I can't wait to read about your Disney adventure.

I hope the crowds were small, the churros big, the temperatures mild and the experience wild.

free gay and lesbian rape stories said...

Eric Lockwell pulled his weapon and released the safeties. The guys in theplatoon just werent candidates for the title of lover that kind ofemotional attachment was counterproductive in a combat companion and was thussensibly tacitly avoided, even without the official sanctions against it.
aunt incest stories
erotic sleeping sex stories
first time oral sex stories
wild french fuck stories
search free erotic sex stories
Eric Lockwell pulled his weapon and released the safeties. The guys in theplatoon just werent candidates for the title of lover that kind ofemotional attachment was counterproductive in a combat companion and was thussensibly tacitly avoided, even without the official sanctions against it.