Thursday, October 16, 2008

A Day At Disneyland






Yes, I'm happy.  I'm happy that I made it through all the traffic from West Hollywood to Anaheim. I'm happy I'm past the lines to get into the theme parks. And I'm really really happy that I'm sitting here eating a funnel cake. I'm not so happy about the little girl sitting next to me with no shirt on who told her father that she wants my funnel cake.


I bought a "park hopper" pass, which gets me into both Disneyland and California Adventure. I'm currently in the middle of "A Bug's Land."  The bugs seem to be happy.










I'm rejecting all negative thoughts, like wondering if people are asking, "Why is that creepy old man all alone at Disneyland?" Or asking myself that question. Or asking what happened to Mickey's fifth fingers.

Another family just walked by.  Instead of asking about me, the little girl, being carried by her mother, asked, "Why does that girl have her shirt off?"  Without a beat, her mother responded, "Because they're white trash, Honey." That made me very happy.  Almost spit-up-my-funnel-cake happy.

Having worked for Disney, I know that they go to great lengths to make sure that visitors within the park cannot see anywhere or anything outside the park. I guess a glimpse of the free world (or the freeway) would make them unhappy, reminding them what is to come on the ride home. And that is very much reflected on the giant sign at the entrance which says, "Where elephants fly and time stands still."

I see people posing and laughing with Pluto and Goofy.  They never think about the temperature inside one of those costumes. The "cast members" (as Disney calls all employees) are trained to stay in character, be animated, and never speak while in view of the guests, and I feel so sorry for Goofy who just got poked in the eye by a little boy. Goofy will get over it and the little boy will remember this day as long as he lives.


It's now three hours later.  My feet aren't so happy. I still have neuropathy in them and they're reminding me of that. I have visited It's A Small World, Toon Town, Tomorrow Land, and Adventure Land. I'm now in the middle of My Dogs Are Barking Land, and heading towards I Need To Get The Hell Out Of Here Land.

It's been a great day. I've cried more than once just watching the faces of little kids. It's so much more rewarding than any ride. And I have learned one more enormous way to be happy . . . watch others be happy.

While working for the company, I got a letter from a mother who's little 5-year-old had a terminal illness and he adored Tigger from Winnie The Pooh. So for our next event, I arranged a meeting with the little boy and Tigger. I cried my eyes out watching him, in his wheelchair, get so excited that he couldn't speak. I was embarrassed that I had taken so much time to organize it, and then one of the executives praised me and said that was the basis of the entire company. It still makes me happy to think about it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill, a fun blogg. I'll bet you are glad that you kept your shirt on !!!!

Did you go on the Jack ride, Indiana Jones, Hollywood Tower Hotel and Soaring over California? Those are my favorite rides.

It's great to see your smile.

Elaine

Susan C said...

It made me happy to read this.

MsKrunt said...

I cried at the part about watching little faces. That's just how I told you I feel about being a mom. I'm addicted to your blog.
xo
d

Anonymous said...

Love this entry Bill! So glad you went out to Disneyland and enjoyed. I too enjoy watching people -- think you can learn a lot by doing so. It is so rewarding when you see something special! While it has been MANY years, I still remember seeing a Mom pushing her child on a bicycle to help them get started ... off the child went on his/her first bike ride. The Mom just jumped up and down clapping her hands. That sticks with me to this day! I did not know them ... just happened to see them.

Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

As I finished that last note, I remembered I wrote about that encounter. It was May 20, 1993 ...

THANK YOU MOM
by Doc B

Mom in shirt and flats ...
holds the seat of her daughters bike
and pushes forward ... and then lets go.
remember learning to ride? .. to pedal
and not knowing about brakes ...
Mom’s always worry about us
applying the brakes don’t they ...
Push ... roll further each time
Mom’s face grimaces as she goes faster and faster ....
breaks into a smile and claps her hands
all the time worrying she is going to fall
Mom’s always worry about us
falling ..... don’t they. That’s Mom for you!
Thank you Mom!

Anonymous said...

I was very moved by everything you wrote, but I also had a voice in the back of my head the whole time saying: I wonder how long it would take to eat a piece of that giant candy corn?

Susan C said...

You might enjoy this post from another adult who returned to the Happiest Place on Earth

http://mattbites.typepad.com/mattbites/2008/09/thoughts-on-the-happiest-place-on-earth.html

Ronni Gordon said...

That was a fun post to read.

I have a confession, though: I have a Disneyland and Disneyworld phobia. My kids have been deprived. I guess maybe I've been deprived! We've gone to smaller amusement parks, but the thought of all those lines really scares me. I think I got it from my parents. We lived near Rockaway Playland. My sister and I wanted to go, and now I'm sure my parents had that same phobia. They kept saying, "If you girls have one more fight, you're not going to the amusement park." Well, of course we never went!

Jennie Macaluso said...

I enjoyed your blog. I love Disneyland. One tip for your next Disneyland trip: Take Jennie with you :) lol...I know a lot about Disneyland I have been going since I was little. Just so you know you always have to wait in line for about 15 or 20 minutes depending on when you go but sometimes it can be longer. I miss Disneyland. You look happy though. It is always fun to go with freind. Take a friend next time :) Glad you enjoyed it.