Thursday, September 11, 2008

That Pursuit of Happiness

It is still somewhat of a twisted mystery to me how cancer has made me a happier person. I think that is why I have been doing so much research into what brings us happiness. And why. And how. And who.

I know there are sometimes people who discover my blog because they have just been diagnosed and they are researching on the internet.  I want so badly to reach out to them and offer encouragement. I want this blog to be for them. I stray off subject some days because I love throwing in a few entries that are just silly or humorous.

I try most of the time to come back to meaning and purpose, and for me that is largely based on these last nine months bringing me love, a sense of adventure, and most strongly, happiness.  It is not as much related to the outcome or success of treatments, although that is bright and certainly doesn't hurt, but it is the daily journey that matters most.  I've learned that the key to happiness in most people is recognizing that important fact. It's today, not tomorrow.  Oddly enough, if you want to be happy right now, you can be.  You don't have to make an investment. You don't have to drive to the store. You don't even have to get out of your chair.

I opened the LA Times on Monday morning, a day I wasn't feeling too well, and there was a huge article titled, "C'mon Get Happy." Here are a few of the highlights:

Happiness is becoming a huge research topic.  Slowly, it is increasing in proportion to the study of depression. It is right there in our Declaration of Independence - The pursuit of happiness.

Happy people are more productive at work, learn more in school, get promoted more, are more creative, and are liked more.

Happiness is 50% genetic, 40% intentional, and 10% circumstantial.

Once basic needs are met, the effects of income on happiness get smaller and smaller.  That's because happiness lies in the way you live and look at the world.

If you want to be happy, pursue something else vigorously and happiness will catch up with you.

What else can make us happy?  Gratitude.  Forgiveness.  Savoring positive moments.  Getting involved.  Use what you're best at to participate in a cause that is bigger than yourself.

And very importantly, happiness brings success, not the other way around.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great Blogg! I don't get why people think " stuff " brings happiness. How much comfort does anyone really get out of hugging an iphone or kissing a flat screen HD TV? I know it does nothing for me. I need that smile, kiss, hug and great face time.

Elaine

Christine said...

I just love your blog....It's like knowing there will be a little treat in the frig. when you get home...I like the way you focus on the emotinal, spiritual, thought provoking effects of cancer and the positive side which far outweighs the negative side which most of us in cancerland are fortunate enough to now know!! Thanks.....Christine