Friday, September 26, 2008

The Kidses






Cecelia Ann, Eileen Marie, William Joseph, Kathleen Monica, and Kevin James
Alias, Cece, Leenie Girl, Billy Boy, Peanut, and Kevie

Aren't we adorable?  Granted this was 45 years ago, but hey, we're still adorable.

I'm blessed with the best siblings in the world.  We have always been very close. One big reason for that is probably because our mother died when we were young; just about exactly when these photos were taken. The twins (Kevin and Kathy) were only 5 years old. Cece, at age 11, took over many of the household responsibilities. Someone said to me recently that I should be thankful in some ways that my mother died because I don't have to deal with all the difficulties that every mother inflicts. I couldn't disagree more.  I think of Cece in many ways as a mother, and she is a saint on earth. If I had to, I don't think I could come up with one flaw. (OK, maybe those glasses in the photo.)

There is an old saying that you don't really know someone until you share a vacation or an inheritance with them. I've done both with my siblings and always feel even closer afterwards.

My father buried three wives. (It was difficult finding him dates after that.) He survived his last wife by a year, and died just two years ago. Of course we miss him a lot. He had been both a father and a mother throughout our childhood. He went to Cece's campfire girls' fashion show, and he was the only father in my cub scouts mothers' club. He cooked us pancakes in the morning and almost always brought a topic of discussion to the dinner table.

One topic that came up often was, "tomorrow I want you to come to the dinner table and tell me something that you perceived." I could never distinguish between something I saw and something I perceived.  I clearly remember saying once that I perceived the statue of St. Catherine in the hallway at school.  "No," Dad said, "You saw that statue.  What did you perceive about it?"

"I perceived that she looked confused why she was holding lilies."

"Very good!" Dad exclaimed.  I was so proud. Proud enough that I never forgot it. But I still couldn't figure out why I didn't just SEE that St. Catherine was confused.  Today I understand it completely. What we see and what we perceive are critical to our personalities. Thanks Dad.

There must have been thousands of moments like that one that I don't remember. They are what made us five "kidses" (as Dad called us) who we are today, and why we are blessed to have each other. At least that's how I perceive it.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, insights into the soul!! It's stories like this one that help to explain your wonderful, positive energy and outlook on life. What we see & what we perceive are the measures of our attitude. Yours, Mr. Bill, are so positive- with a healthy dose of humor and reality. More in an email, but you really are amazing!!
Just sent your blog to a friend who's mom has the big c.... she loves it... says you are very special... hugs,
ang