Friday, September 19, 2008

LIFE

It is September 18th, 2008.  Today I found out that I am cancer free.  I thanked the doctor, hung up the phone, and burst into tears. I didn't really think it was going to be that big of a deal, but evidently I had an enormous amount of emotion inside that I had hidden somewhere in the Disney dust.

I sent an email to close friends and family, and unexpectedly was overwhelmed with the response. One person after another left me a message while crying.  After a pause to clear her throat, my sister said, "This is a moment I will never forget."

A few other responses:
"My head is spinning from happiness.  Next time, just get me a puppy!"
"I'm so happy, I'm going to buy you a comb."
"Now let's hope you don't get hit by a truck."
(The sicker they are, the more I love them.)

Just when I think I have allowed myself to accept love, I am startled by this reaction from people. I am embarrassed by it.  But I laughed and cried while I read the emails and listened to the messages . . . over and over.  And I will do it again several times tomorrow.

The first week I moved to Los Angeles, I was visiting a friend in his apartment building. As I entered the lobby, there was an elderly woman moving out. Her family was moving her back to the east coast. I chatted with her and she told me, "It's now time for someone else to begin a life in Hollywood."  There I was.  We hugged and never saw each other again, however I have never forgotten the power of that moment.

Last night I had a long conversation on the phone with someone who discovered my blog and contacted me.  He recently received his diagnosis and began chemotherapy today for lymphoma. This came the night before my good news. "It's now time for someone else to begin a life in Hollywood." More than anything else, I assured him that the journey is everything that you make of it. It can be as rewarding as you choose. It can be unpleasant, but life changing. Interestingly, all the things I was told by the woman in the lobby.

Before our conversation last night, I wrote down all the things I wanted to say to him. But there were no words that I could think of to convey the spirit that I wanted to bestow on him. How could I tell him to enjoy the journey? Cherish those peaceful times when you are alone with your thoughts. Or how could I even begin to express the abundance of love he will feel if he allows it? And most of all, there is no appropriate way to say to him, "This can be the most incredible year of your life. Do not miss a moment."

Sean, please know how much I was thinking of you when my doctor called today. It was exactly the time that you were getting your chemo. I hope you can hold in your heart the knowledge that, very soon, you will be getting the same news.

I thank you all. My family. My incredible friends. Those of you who read this blog. You are the ones who fought this cancer.  I was just the one who got to march down the street in the parade.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We got your email, and I am thrilled for you! Please come to ATL for a visit....

Anonymous said...

What great news Bill! I can't even imagine what went through your mind when you got 'that' call! Wow. I am SOOOOooooo happy for you. I read your post right after I got up this morning ... it simply made my day! I bet the day seems brighter there now! It should! And you deserve it too I might add! HOOOoooray!

Jennie Macaluso said...

When I read the first three lines of your blog, I was crying for joy. I was extremely happy. I called my mom and my dad answered and I said " BILL IS CANCER FREE". My parents were both extremely happy. I am so happy. I am going to meet you sometime when we get the chance to go to LA. It seems strange because I haven't talked to you for that long and I feel like we have been friends for years. Your positive outlook on life is pretty much amazing. You make the hard days worth everything. I am so happy and I don't even know what to say. I just want you to know you are loved by me and I AM SOOOOO HAPPY!!!!

Anonymous said...

Bill,

All I can say is that the song about crickets is history. In it's place is a song about pure joy. I am thinking about how you love " It's not the time." That was written in a place of sadness and grief. The pure elation I feel about you being cancer free will definitely motivate me to write a song of joy.

You are a terrific writer with a fresh and different look at life. I will still look forward to each and every blogg.

Elaine

justjill said...

People at work are pointing and laughing, and those who aren't pointing look slightly worried I may have just lost it, as I am crying & crying & crying with joy for you & this F A N T A S T I C news!!! I knew nothing could knock my O.T.R.-husband down for long. You are so strong and I had a sense of contentment in my heart that you were not quite done with this place. Watch out, here he comes...this time with hair! Much love & a snickers bar from wife#1 xoxo

Anonymous said...

I read your email on my Blackberry. I was in a car with my husband and kids. I read it aloud and there was a loud cheer of "WOOHOO" from the back seat! I am inspired by your strength, I am honored by your friendship and I stand in awe - waiting to see what the great Bill Kavanagh does next......

Anonymous said...

The following is a poem I used to give to my students to encourage them to succeed. Perhaps it will help someone here ... I just 'felt' it might help someone:

DON'T QUIT

When things go wrong, as they sometimes will
When the road you're trudging seems all uphill
When the funds are low and the debts are high
And you want to smile, but you have to sigh
When care is pressing you down a bit --
Rest if you must, but please don't quit.
Life is queer with its twists and turns
As everyone of us sometimes learns
And many a fellow turns about
When he might have won had he stuck it out
Don't give up though the pace seems slow --
You may succeed with another blow.
Often the goal is nearer than
It seems to a faint and faltering man,
Often the struggler has given up
When he might have captured the victor's cup;
And he learned too late when the night came down,
How close he was to the golden crown.
Success is failure turned inside out --
The silver tint of the clouds of doubt,
And you never can tell how close you are,
It may be near when it seems afar,
So stick to the fight when you’re hardest hit, --
It's when things seem worst that you mustn't quit.

STU said...

congrats! hope to be in your shoes my the new year.


stuhascancer.blogspot.com

MB said...

I AM SO HAPPPPPYYYYY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Elated!!!

Bless your beautiful heart Bubba!!!!

xoxox
Mary Beth