Thursday, May 8, 2008

TRUST

Everything we are can lead us to where we should be.  
If we trust it.

Most of my time last year was spent creating a new venture called "NEXT."  The company would design seminars across the country to assist individuals approaching a transition point in their lives.  Our mission would be to provide inspiration and guidance to those who are challenged to discover a new, meaningful and fulfilling NEXT career.

The business plan and financial projections were written with the concept of three-day retreats, however we became more focused on shorter, more intense one-day seminars.

I continually meet older adults who have left their successful careers for whatever reasons and know in their hearts that there is a new purpose for them.  And yet they are struggling with the discovery and transition of that purpose.  Baby boomers are still the largest segment of our population, and every day 8,000 of them turn 60.

Now after a few months of taking a hiatus, I struggle with the viability of such a company.  I know there is an audience, but I question most people's excitement or willingness to attend seminars. Websites and books are already in existence on the subject, but I feel strongly about a personal connection for this subject and participants' ability to discuss their feelings with others face to face.

Follow up is also vitally important.  Attendees need to continue to connect and ask questions, or browse career options or links to opportunities, paid and volunteer, in their own communities.

I am my own biggest client.  After four months of soul searching and writing, I recognize that my life has changed.  Once I jump from this restful nest, I trust that I will fly to new territories.  Key word, trust.  It's amazing the difference between the two words "trust" and "worry."  I know so very deep in my heart how difficult it is to absorb the first sentence of today's blog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you well know, I am a firm believer in the fact that we experience "things/events" through our friends and loved ones in hopes that we can learn what we need to learn without going through the growing pain ourself.
But hard-headed folks like you and me sometimes need to go through it ourself. By going through these things you are living proof that...
"Everything we are" (whether it is cancer or research for a new company)
"can lead us to where we should be...if we trust!"

By the way, I'm in Salt Lake City today and thought of you as we drove in to the city.
Carl P.

Anonymous said...

Say hello to me mum.