Friday, May 16, 2008

One Big Love Fest

It's 3:00 am.  I never sleep the nights after chemo.  I picture in my mind that it's because of a bright white healing light that is pulsing through my veins.  I realize that sounds like something you would tell an 8-year-old in a Disney movie (Has anyone in a Disney movie ever had 
cancer?), but it beats this reality check that comes with one of my drugs:

"Adriamycin is a cytotoxic anthracycline antibiotic.  As such, it is an antineoplastic and interferes with the growth of cancer cells.  It may cause unusual bleeding, lower back/side pain, or difficult urination.  Avoid contact sports, blogging, or other activities where bruising or injury could occur."

Oh well.  I will blog without bruising. . . 

Today (yesterday?) is a day I will never forget.  I got to have two of my sisters with me for the treatment.  They are both such a joy.  It was much more than a day at the hospital, but rather a day of telling stories and remembering.

My oldest sister, Cece, brought me the most amazing gift I have ever received.  She hand made a quilt out of my father's neckties.  The center panel is from my mother's wedding dress when they married in 1949.  I cherish the symbolism of them comforting me like a blanket of love.  In California, we can't hang much above our beds in case of an earthquake, and so this is the most perfect solution.  What better would I want to fall on me?

My sister Kathy got a call from one of her largest customers, The Kroger Company, and he asked her why she was in California for a month.  She told him that her company (Qwest) allowed her to come do her job here to spend time with her brother who has lymphoma.  He said he was so happy to get to do business with a company that would allow her to recognize what is important in life.

In exchange, I will always support Kroger (Ralphs in CA).  It's just one big love fest.  When I first mentioned on my blog that there would be so many gifts and blessings from this experience, I had no idea that it would end up being a feeling of joy as I shop for produce, because of their phone system.

No comments: