Saturday, May 3, 2008

Doctor's Thoughts

So I'm like, um, sitting in my chemo session yesterday, and like I asked the, um, doctor, "Why am I getting this totally fat, not phat, protrudenous tummy?"  He explained that one of my chemo meds causes fluid to build up in the stomach while making the arms and legs get very skinny.  OMG!  That's me.  Just picture in your mind how attractive that is.  Kind of like the Sun Man in the jimmy Dean commercials.  Or once again, exactly like the baby bird in the photo to the right.

So I just keep remembering what Glenn Close said, "Vanity and happiness are incompatible."  That little bird has no idea that it is anything but perfect, and one day soon, it will fly.  And I am as happy as I have ever been, knowing I too will fly again soon.

Other little tidbits that my doctor has told me:
Although reports show that cancer is declining in this country, most oncologists report a very big increase in cases.  He believes it is due primarily to our eating habits.  He says that many foods we think are good for us, like milk, are pushed on us politically.  In most other countries, adults don't drink milk.  By nature, it is only for the very young.  But in this country, milk is the sacred cow (so to speak) and not to be disputed.

The B vitamins, particularly B-12 and B-4, are underestimated and are the best vitamins for our immune systems.

He said that he believes the only way that there will be any type of health insurance reform in this country is if doctors take the lead by striking (meaning they would only work minimal hours or in emergency situations, and not accept any new patients).


No comments: