Monday, May 5, 2008

A New Appreciation

I want to enthusiastically welcome any readers from The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.  It was such a wonderful gift to be featured on their home page today.  They have been so very kind and gracious.

And it comes with perfect timing.  This past weekend, I have been contemplating a few new "Deep Thoughts" (for those of you who remember Jack Handey on Saturday Night Live).  If you are new to my blog, I would ask that you start with my first entry on April 1.  It is from those thoughts that all others seem to generate.

As I have mentioned, my sister is staying with me for a month.  We were able to get out this weekend to a house warming and a memorial service.  She suggested that I not wear my hat . . . a frightening consideration for me.  I took her suggestion, and I felt amazingly free.  For the first time, it was as if I was truly accepting and embracing my cancer.  And I have to say, I got a little satisfaction from all the people who wanted to touch my head.

I am so happy where I am in life right now.  Lymphoma has given me the opportunity to ponder that.  I no longer have many of the things that come with youth, and that's OK.  To replace those things, I have been given experience, knowledge, unbelievable friendships, appreciation for the important things, and the ability to look back at youth and smile.  The experience has brought me an exciting life, and it has brought me some difficult challenges.  You will hear me say this many times, they are always the beginning of the greatest blessings.  I would trade that any day for a day at the gym and a night at the clubs.

I sit here right now, quietly thinking, remembering, and appreciating.  Most everyone else is bustling around the office, taking conference calls, reading endless emails, and all the other everyday happenings at work.  I look forward to being back there again, but next time, I pray it will be with a new perspective.  A new appreciation.  Life goes by so quickly.  I want to enjoy every minute.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you ! I too went through Chemo and I now appreciate so much more in life. Seems you are the richer already....keep up the good work and blessings to you and yours.
..love to you and yours
SRW

Carl said...

Bill,

I'm responding here to the comment you left on my blog, "A Pastor's Cancer Diary." If I had your e-mail address, I'd send it more directly. You can find out my e-mail address on my church website:

http://www.pointpresbyterian.org

Anyway, here's what you wrote

You and I were featured this morning on the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society's website. I can see that we have very similar views and outlooks.

"My cancer" has shown me bright new paths to people like you. It has taught me to accept love.... something I have been striving for all of my life. And it has allowed my life to slow down to a pace where I appreciate so many important blessings.

And, here's my response:

Yes, Bill, I discovered your blog, too, in just the same way. I'll look forward to digging into your earlier blog entries.

Blessings to you!

Carl Wilton