Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Creativity and Purpose


Last night I volunteered with my sister at a benefit to help raise awareness and money for a wonderful organization called "Picture Me Happy."  PMH brings cameras, computers, and crafts into hospitals to stimulate creativity among terminally and chronically ill children.  I feel a particularly closer bond to the mission now that I can relate to the families . . . and I look like the kids.

It is easy for me to sit and write about my life and my expectations, but it is very difficult for me to comprehend the pain of parents watching their child go through such suffering.  What could be more painful?  Searching for a positive side to that difficulty is almost impossible for me.

The founder of PMH told us last night about one of his first patients for this new nonprofit; a very young girl, curled up at the bottom of her bed with her fists clenched.  She was not communicating at all.  Within minutes of playing with a few Polaroid photos, she was up on her knees and smiling.

I started to cry as he spoke about the effects of creativity in the healing process.  It hit me right in the gut.  For much of my recent journey, the only task I have been able to accomplish is working in my journal . . . shooting photos, creating artwork, and writing.  It has brought me such joy and will be a cherished part of my life forever.  I can only imagine the lasting affects of such a gift to the parents of these children.   www.picturemehappy.org  

While at the benefit, I met a woman who retired in October.  In her words, she went from 1,000 mph to zero in one day.  I asked her if she was enjoying the zero, and her response was that it is only good for a very short time.  She has come to realize how much she loved the 1,000 mph.

Our world is a mosaic of tiny pieces that all fit into a beautiful mural.  This woman is searching for a new purpose, this organization fell into her path, and these children desperately need her skills.

Tomorrow I want to blog about finding new purpose, discovering new careers and how to search inside ourselves to create our futures.  Good stuff.  Stick around.  We'll be right back.

No comments: