Monday, July 7, 2008

A Week Away

The blog has been empty for a week because I have been in the hospital.  I will be back soon, but for a few days, I need to recover.

One quick and beautiful story from the seven days in Cedars-Sinai.  On the 4th of July, I was journaling that it would not be a very celebratory holiday.  Just a few minutes later, two good friends showed up, dressed in red, white, and blue, carrying cupcakes and singing.  After visiting for a few minutes, we heard music in the hallway.

A beautiful elderly lady was playing the harp.  I was whispering to my friends and the nurse that when I was a small boy, my Godmother would play old Irish songs on the harp for me.  Just then, the woman pointed to me and asked if I had any requests.  I asked her just to play one of her favorites.

Right then, in this very Jewish hospital, she started playing "Oh Danny Boy," probably my family's favorite.  There could not have been a more perfect song.  And to make it even more incredible, one of my friends is a professional singer and he began to sing.  Thank God I had the IV pole to hold me up!

I hope everyone had a great holiday and I will be back very soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was worried about ya! Knew something was happening. Thanks for the update and the report on your special song via harp lady! Hope to have you back blogging soon! Take care!

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! It wasn't the tamales was it???

Michael said...

Finally got me to open a Google/Blogger acct... What a great story about the harpest at Cedars. Hope you are feeling better. U up for a meeting yet? Let me know if you'd like a ride tonight...
XO Michael G.