Saturday, July 26, 2008

Boo Hoo

I really hate to dwell much more on the problems of our healthcare system, and I promise after this, I will move on.  We all know the seriousness of the insidiousness.  However, it's a big part of my life right now, and I have a couple of observations.

On a positive side, I applaud companies like Kaiser Permanente, or at least their marketing department, for promoting a fun, pro-active health image through their campaign "Thrive."  I have friends that work there and others who are insured with them, and they all seem very happy.

I've been consulting with a friend on a couple of events for another healthcare company who also is beginning an internal colorful "Pro-Fit = Profit" campaign.  Some companies (hopefully) are getting it.

I compare this to a "what-if" theory that the IRS would actually consult taxpayers upfront rather than to attack and kill after the fact.  Imagine the government taking a pro-active approach.

Sadly, most health insurance companies are now taking a governmental attitude towards their customers.  Even the term "customer" is not appropriate.  We are their circus animals, performing as they instruct.  A customer at Macy's, or even with other types of insurance, can easily take his/her business elsewhere.  Not with health insurance.  For me, I am stuck in the three-ring agony of their discipline.

I lay in bed and dream of a person at Health Net who would say to me on the telephone, "I know this is a difficult time for you.  How can I help you?  I see that your doctor has ordered a CT Scan. Let me see what I can do to get that approved."

Instead, this is reality.
"Why do you need a CT Scan?!"  (As if I'm asking for tickets to Disneyland.)

"Oh I don't know.  I need artwork in my living room, and I thought a transparent black and white image of my cloudy lungs might be just the thing to perk up the feng shui."

As much as I make light of the situation, it really has been a serious problem.  Knowing I had no time to argue because I needed to keep my chemotherapy on schedule, they switched me to an HMO and reassigned a new, cheaper oncologist.  They told me that somewhere in the fine print of my policy it says, "PPO, except for cancer."

At any rate, I'm blessed that I have coverage.  Many don't.  It's a broken system that will require minds much greater than mine to repair it (and other minds to approve it).  I trust that someday someone will hear, "How is it that I can help you?"

I'm folding up my soapbox and enthusiastically compiling a list of the best lunch suggestions I received.  A much happier subject to think about.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Move to Britain or Canada? At least there they're not into the whole get-rich-off-denying-treatment motive.

Christine said...

Hi-
I have just come across your blog...Another gift you can attribute to Lymphoma is allowing others to get a glimpse of your mind and heart...You are so funny! I love your writing and poignant thoughts...So this illness got you writing again?? You are able to put so much of life into perspective, and give us all so much to think about. Thank you for sharing your experience, it helps so much. I will pray for your continued recovery. Christine