Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Thinking

I have written many times that I have been given a beautiful gift of reflection through this little bout with cancer.  Most people do not have the opportunity or time to sit and focus on the What-if's, and the What-now's, and the What-could's.  Life is too fast and it's hard enough to keep up withe the What-the-Hell's and the What-the-#*@k's.  I'm always impressed when people tell me they had the time to read this blog.

One day someone suddenly says you can't work for a year.  You can't go anywhere, and you might not feel so great.  So you sit and think.  And then you think some more.  And then you think about what you might think about next.  (And then you blog about thinking.)

I still have managed to have a bit of my life.  Time with family and friends, and a chance to appreciate that as well.  And then.  A mean doctor says, "No that's not good.  Now you must be tied to a sofa 24 hours a day by a clear tube connected to your nose."  And so I will think some more.  A lot more.

The kitchen is within reach of the tubing.  And while baking muffins this morning, it occurred to me that bending over a gas oven with oxygen in my nose was probably not a great idea.  Evidently I wasn't THINKING?

I can watch TV.  That does not qualify as thinking.  Yes, I can read, but I think I try to avoid it, even though it has become a good friend.  Thinking and learning are different. Or are they?  I'll think about that.

I read enough of the daily paper and watch enough CNN to be a breaking news reporter.  I feel like I know every footstep of Obama and McCain.  And did you hear that Britney has her bikini body back and will get more custody of her kids?

One of the definitions in the dictionary for "think" is "To bring something to a particular condition using the mind."  OK.  I don't think I'm on the sofa right now.  I think I'm on a beach in Hawaii.

All joking aside, I truly do feel that this year has been such a gift for my soul.  It's been a cleansing and a redecorating of my psyche.  Free time does not bring boredom, it transforms into new areas of thought.

Bottom line.  Thinking is good.  More thinking must be better.   I think.

3 comments:

Carl said...

The ancient Greek philosopher said, "The unexamined life is not worth living." If that's true, then cancer survivors just may have the most worthwhile lives of all.

Think about that one, with a smile...

Carl
"A Pastor's Cancer Diary"
http://www.cewilton.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

If not for you, I wouldn't stop and think. I am one of those 24/7 people who spends free time with family but is always jammed. When I turn off my cell, people are thrilled. Reading your blogs Bill has made me stop and think. Away from the world around me and all other forms of communication, I hope for your blog. I read it over several times and think. It feels like a luxury, but in reality it is a necessity. Slowing down and thinking feels good.

Elaine Mac said...

f not for you, I wouldn't stop and think. I am one of those 24/7 people who spends free time with family but is always jammed. When I turn off my cell, people are thrilled. Reading your blogs Bill has made me stop and think. Away from the world around me and all other forms of communication, I hope for your blog. I read it over several times and think. It feels like a luxury, but in reality it is a necessity. Slowing down and thinking feels good.