Sunday, July 20, 2008

Lunches

What is your favorite lunch?  Be honest.  I won't tell anyone if it's decadent.  But I would love to get your emails.  I know many of us still crave the simple lunches we had as children . . . peanut butter and jelly, or mac and cheese.  Maybe with a new twist.

There were so many wild combinations of sandwiches that I loved as a kid, and all involved peanut butter.  Tomato, peanut butter and mayo.  Or peanut butter, bananas and raisins.  Peanut butter and bologna!  

But now my favorite lunch, and I never seem to grow tired of it, is my own special concoction of chicken salad.  I pull apart the chicken, add grapes, apples, raisins or dried cranberries, dijon mustard and mayo.  It's great on bread, crackers, or all alone.

So now I need new suggestions.  Quick and easy.  Tasty.  And fattening doesn't hurt.

Rarely do I let myself indulge in burgers and fries, but when I do, I savor every morsel.  My favorite is the Jack in the Box ultimate cheeseburger, however last week I had McDonald's angus, bacon, chipotle, cheese burger.  (It was that, or eat a pound of lard.)  It tasted amazing.

While living in Salt Lake City, I became addicted to Utah Fry Sauce, a creamy blend of ketchup, mayo, and worcestershire sauce, so I always hurry home and whip up a bit for my fries.

I'll report back soon with the findings of my survey so others can share in the "lunches that make us go 'YUM!'"

8 comments:

Elaine Mac said...

My favorite lunch is a large bowl of
homemade chicken soup on a cold day.
On a hot day I'm down for cottage cheese and lots of fresh fruit or a
greek salad. Never ever did I love
MacDonalds, Taco Bell or Jack in the Box. To me it tastes like a mouth full of chemicals. And chemicals have
never excited me except fizzies.
Remember awesome fizzies? They looked
like alka seltzer and turned your water into grape or orange soda.

Elaine Mac said...

My favorite lunch is a large bowl of
homemade chicken soup on a cold day.
On a hot day I'm down for cottage cheese and lots of fresh fruit or a
greek salad. Never ever did I love
MacDonalds, Taco Bell or Jack in the Box. To me it tastes like a mouth full of chemicals. And chemicals have
never excited me except fizzies.
Remember awesome fizzies? They looked
like alka seltzer and turned your water into grape or orange soda.

Jennie Macaluso said...

My dad read your blog and one of the sandwhiches he use to eat as a kid was liverworst, swish cheese and lots of mustard on white bread. Now, is favorite lunch is a hamburger. My dad eats hamburgers all the time including at mexican restaurants.

My mom use to cook we lunch and then put in my locker. My favorite was roast conpollo and it was great. I also loved fresh turkey sandwhiches with lettuce with eirther mayo or mustard.

I hope your feeling better.

Anonymous said...

Chicken strips slathered in hot sauce with a leafy green salad on the side. I wish I had that handy right now!

Anonymous said...

Peanut butter and marshmallow cream sandwich! Seriously...it's delicious! (and fattening, Bill, so try it!)

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blogs everyday :) It always puts my life back in check when I am worrying about something pointless or feeling sorry for myself beacuse I am away from my family and friends, even though i have SO much to be thankful for, I am truly blessed. I read this blog and automatically thought of when I was little my mom would have us "paint on bread" for lunch. She would put milk in tiny cups and put a differnt colored food coloring in each one. We would then paint the colored milk onto the bread and she would toast it and make it into grilled cheese or a peanut butter sandwhich.....it was like eating a beautiful masterpiece in my mind :)

Anonymous said...

I am catching up on your blogs. So sorry this late but I have to say I am glad I am not from California...leafy salads, soups, ...I guess that's why Columbus, Ohio is one of the fattest cities in the nation but give me a big juicy cheese burger and fries any day! Thanks for putting another smile on my face!

Anonymous said...

I just had to say that my mother ate peanut butter, tomato and mayo sandwiches, God rest her soul. We always made faces and laughed at the crazy concoction. But now reading that YOU liked it too! I am shocked, amazed and strangely thinking about how I am going to make one tomorrow and see what it is all about....