Friday, June 27, 2008

Our Journies

What inspires us to move forward in our lives?  What holds us back?  What traditions, fears, people, real estate, or financial concerns keep us from fulfilling our hearts?

How often do we stop and seriously contemplate, "If I could do anything with the rest of my life, what would it be?"  Obviously I am stopping and doing that a lot lately, but I have done it often throughout my life.  I wonder how many others reflect on it, and truly give it justice.  For me, I would never call it a midlife crisis, because I see it as the opposite of a crisis.  It's a continuing promise that I made to myself.

Whether it's changing our career, retiring, becoming entrepreneurial, giving back to the world, enjoying a more relaxing peace, or moving to a new city or climate, we all have dreams that will hopefully become realities some day.

I just read an article by Roger Housden where he "captures that moment when you dare to take your heart in your hands and walk through an invisible wall into a new life."

For him, he says it took a long time.  His hard outer shell had to be softened, broken down even, before the moment of truth could appear.  He needed to be humbled and cooked in the tears of loss for any deeper life to emerge.  That is true for so many of my friends.  He explains that not everyone must first be exposed to pain, however, "A new life requires a death of some kind, otherwise it is nothing new, but rather a shuffling of the same deck."

For many people he says, it could mean that one day, for no apparent reason, you simply know that you cannot continue to play by the rules you have accepted for years -- the rules of a relationship, the abuses at work, or the script you have written for your life.

Wow.  That's some heavy poop to process.  What script have I written that needs editing?  Are there some back page notes telling me I must be rich or important, or doing something interesting to others?  Is there a chapter on image that must be deleted?

The article ends with this . . . 
"In being true to that small voice within . . you are being of service to others and to the world in the most profound way possible.  You cannot know where that voice will take you, but in being willing to save the only life you can save, you are affirming one of the deepest and most sobering truths of all: No one else can ever walk your journey for you.  You alone can respond to your call."

No comments: