Friday, June 13, 2008

The many faces of Billy Bird





















It is very difficult for me to put these photos on here.  I'm doing it as a marker of my current life so I can look back and never forget.  And it is not a coincidence that it is Friday, the 13th.  The first photo was taken just before my diagnosis.  The second was at chemo #8.  Granted, I posed for full affect. Everyone tells me that I never really looked that bad, but the camera doesn't lie.  Photo three was at chemo #10 as my hair was starting to come back.  And picture four was about an hour ago in my courtyard.  Looking at it, I cannot believe how much weight I have lost.  I am going to eat a small farm animal for dinner tonight!
My oncologist yesterday told me that my breathing problems are a side affect of Bleomycin, one of my chemo meds, so he has discontinued it.  He has prescribed two new meds which he said will improve my breathing, and low and behold, also improve my energy, emotions and mental attitude. I never even told him that I was having emotional swings and attitude problems, but maybe his first clue was that I was crying when he came in the room.

I have lost nine pounds since the last chemo two weeks ago.  The new meds will unfortunately cause thinner arms and legs, which I do not believe is humanly possible.  I will focus on the positive thinking and not the linguini I see in the mirror hanging from my shoulders.

I'm excited at the thought of new energy.  Marathon here I come.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoever owns this blog, I would like to say that he has a great idea of choosing a topic.

Anonymous said...

How about some Alfredo sauce with that linguine? We need to fatten you up!

NK

Anonymous said...

Good for you in posting those pictures! I can sense your sensitivity and your sense of humor also. I do hope the new meds work better for you. Keep up the posts ... and the positive attitude! Thinking about ya!

Anonymous said...

Agree with Doc B, we are proud of you for how well you have faced everything. And congratulations on your first comment spam!

MB said...

Bubba,

Your bravery is inspiring and I love you beyond words!
Do me a favor,though, don't eat a pig, or a goat or a lamb...oh hell.....

love you and am sending you loads of love!
Mary Beth