Friday, August 22, 2008

What Makes You Happy?

My friend Reese and I have been discussing HAPPINESS a lot lately.  He has forwarded several articles to me and even written a couple of his own.  Plus I"m still plodding through the book, "The Art of Happiness."

I have discussed this subject several times before, but I am fascinated by it.  Almost all of the authors agree that happiness is internal and does not generate from external sources or material goods.  We all know that.  An article in yesterday's Wall Street Journal suggests that happiness can also come from our association with family.  The best news is that our minds have the ability to change, and if we're not happy, we can learn to be.  So why don't they offer college courses in Happiness 101?

Funny you ask that question . . . . 

According to an article by Richard Nantel of Brandon Hall Research, it is currently the number one most popular undergraduate course at Harvard, and is offered at more than 100 respected universities.  It is referred to as Positive Psychology.  Whereas in the past psychology has usually focused on mental illness, these courses research human happiness.  That makes me happy.  Imagine.  Positive focus.

As I said in a blog on July 22, the Dali Lama says that some of the foundations for happiness are calmness of mind, compassion and loving kindness, and an openness to all human beings.  Of course we go through all emotions, but there is a certain level of happiness that each of us maintains, if we choose.

Reese suggests in his writing that a happy life comes from ten things . . . . Share, Appreciate, Forgive, Commit, Learn, Wander, Wonder, Dance, Laugh, and Submit.

I'm very curious what makes you happy.  Your kids?  Your job? A hobby?  A sale at Dolce&Gabbana?  (It's OK, you can admit it.)

There is a difference between happiness and pleasure.  Certain things like massages or ice cream can bring us pleasure, but don't ultimately make us happy.  I'd like to know both; your pleasures and your happiness.

I am very serious about asking for your input.  What makes people happy, especially people I know, is important to me.

5 comments:

Jennie Macaluso said...

What makes me happy? ummmm....Spending time with my family , spending time with my boyfriend, taking pictures,when my friends and family are healthy. I love traveling :) A lot of things make me happy. Ohhh Wait another one is when I hear about Bill getting better.

Anonymous said...

I've been thinking about your request for what makes me happy. I've gone through several thoughts ... family members ... my son ... and they do bring me happiness -- yet they can also cause some concern and worry. So I tried to decide what brings me true happiness ... I've decided it is nature! More specifically, I decided this by sitting at my computer and watching a hummingbird just outside my window at my feeder. How beautiful is that! A little hummingbird fluttering at the feeder and enjoying the sugar water ... how fantastic. THAT makes me happy!

Anonymous said...

Oh my ... HOW could I forget my lil' Yorkies ... Winston and Wooster. They are always SO excited when I come home from an outing ... we have a routine that works for us! I've got a few quotes that relate this feeling (here is one):

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader.

He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.

You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown

Anonymous said...

Happiness for me is being in a room with family and/or friends where everyone is laughing and having fun. Fortunately we seem to do just that every time we're together. But I also have to agree with Doc b., there's nothing that can put a smile on your face like the greeting from your pet (although the sale at D&G is right up there!)
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Fry Sauce makes me happy.