Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Lessons

I am continually impressed with the new generation in our family.  One of my sisters has two sons that are incredibly focused, driven, involved, and already successful.  Another sister has three beautiful and talented daughters, and I have several cousins with children that always amaze me in their accomplishments.  We are a blessed family with a great work ethic and nothing but success.

One of those cousins' son was out here in LA visiting last week.  Ethan is 20 years old and spent his first year here at Pepperdine University.  He chose to return to Cleveland to Case Western to finish his undergraduate, which he will do in just three years.

I felt honored that he and his girlfriend wanted to have dinner with me.  And he swears that his mother did not insist on him calling his old sick cousin.  Stephanie was equally as impressive having left Loredo, TX to come to study at Pepperdine.  Already she has spent a semester in Argentina studying Spanish.

During dinner, they asked what advice I would give two 20 year olds with an entire future ahead of them.  Wow.  That's not a question you want to mess up.  My agents didn't prepare me it was coming.  There I was.  Frozen.  Advice?  It better be good.

And then I tapped into everything I have learned these past eight months of thinking and writing.  The answer came easily.

"I don't need to give you advice.  You have already done it," I told them.  Overcoming fear and taking risks is the best advice I can give anyone.   Only good can come from it.  Both of them left home at 18 and came out to California for school.  I'm not even sure that they recognize their courage.  It came from something they had been taught or had instinctively, but it sets the stage for a life of open opportunities and facing them with gusto.  And it prepares them to accept life's challenges, knowing they can adapt and move forward without fear.

Ethan emailed me and said that he and Stephanie talked after dinner and they "are overwhelmed at the excitement of the future."  I love that!  How many Americans live in fear of what might happen?  How many are overwhelmed at the excitement of the future?

Here is the amazing lesson for me . . . . It doesn't matter if you're 20 or 53, the same rules apply to our futures.  I don't have the same opportunities now that I had as I drove away from my fraternity house in 1978, but I have new ones.  A life of experience should give me a new cause to be "overwhelmed at the excitement of the future."  I think I learned more than Ethan and Stephanie.

My sister just reminded me of an expression that Dad used to always say.  "Getter done!"  And his other favorite quote . . . . "If ya ain't doin' too good, don't stay too long."


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bill, I loved your blogg. I have 3 daughters, 19, 26 and 32. Reading your words reminded me of them. The oldest one, Johanna, worked for Industrial Light and Magic for many years, starting after her second year of college and full time after. She has worked on many major films. The second daughter Leah is graduating next semester with a degree in Criminology and works 2 days a week at San Quentin, after that, law school. Our baby Jennie is in her second year working towards a communications degree.
" Courage " was an excellent answer but I need to add two more important lessons. One is attitude, which is treating all people with respect. All businesses (especially the entertainment business) don't need another person thinking their you know what doesn't stink. The other is, you need to be a learner all your life. Being a learner makes life exciting,interesting and keeps you from being stuck and unable to grow, no matter what age.
Thank you Bill at always giving me something wonderful and important to think about when I am in the middle of producing this family musical event. Elaine

Anonymous said...

Hi Bill.... what a entry... I read it to my son, waiting for light bulbs to go off and for him to be excited about his future... but then again - he's 4.... and said, Whatever, Mom....
Keep up the good work,
hugs, ang

Anonymous said...

Still enjoying following your blog! Your dad's line is a classic and so apropos:
"If ya ain't doin' too good, don't stay too long."
Thanks again for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I will tell you someone excited about the future.....The little girl who wants to be a famous ballerina/TV chef. Now that dream takes guts!

Anonymous said...

Grandpa was Larry the Cable Guy?