Monday, November 17, 2008

I'm Here, and I'm . . . um . . .




I have been away from the blog for a few days in an attempt to focus on other projects. 
Key word, attempt.

One area that has definitely kept my attention is the rallies that have been flaring up all over California and now across the country. Proposition 8, the state proposition to ban gay marriage which passed on election day, is a 
difficult pill to swallow. (And I have swallowed many pills this year.) The struggle for most gay people throughout our lives is a sense of not feeling as good as others. We generally were not athletic stars, and were more "sensitive" than others. Individually, we have always felt that we are different, and as we get older, we have to somehow accept and justify that we ARE different, but still equal to others. The world has just told us that we are not equal. It hurts. It is not hard to understand why there are so many gay teen suicides, and such a high percentage of alcoholism.

A young boy, around 14 years old, interviewed me the night of the elections. He was producing a documentary about Prop 8 for a class project. He was extremely insightful for his age and asked me if I was offended by the mere fact that there was a Prop 8. Then he asked me to say something to the girls and boys his age who were struggling with their sexuality. I was suddenly silent. Fortunately I was with a good friend who has a grown daughter. Since she grew up with a gay father, he told her story of struggle and ridicule.  

I have not stopped thinking about that little boy. He was me. But thank God we have progressed enough to discuss it, and that a child his age can produce a documentary to help him deal with it.

As someone who always looks for the positive side, I see the passage of Proposition 8 to ban gay marriage as a chance to bring more attention to the issue than if it were defeated. I would have never written this blog, forcing myself to confront a topic I never talk about publicly. I'm still afraid to do that. How does that help that little boy? That is why I march despite a swollen leg. I personally need to physically release the frustration. We are always peaceful, but always passionate.  It is difficult not to hate, but we cannot. We are marching for the cause of love.

The photograph above was in the Los Angeles Times yesterday from Saturday's rally, which drew over 20,000 marchers. I can be seen in the far right bottom corner. Talk about coming out publicly! Unfortunately they did not capture my sign, so I have also included a photograph of it.

I have complete faith that times are changing and we are about to cross over a line in history. One small, fabulous, dancing skip for mankind. Soon these rallies, and the entire issue, will seem as incredulous as women not voting or blacks being forced to the back of the bus. I hope I live to see it.

5 comments:

Ronni Gordon said...

Please remember that it is not the world that is telling you that you are not equal. It is just some people. Much of the world can still not understand how Prop 8 was passed. Good post, and good sign-making!

Susan C said...

I'm still sick and angry about the passage of Prop. 8. That took a lot of joy from a day when we had cause for celebration with the Obama victory.

Would love to know how you made your sign.

Anonymous said...

Heck, the straight community hasn't exactly done such a great job with marriage! I say spread the angst and agony around!

I find it interesting that the traditional marriage fans can't appreciate that all anyone is aspiring to is exactly what they hold so dear. If they are truly such marriage supporters, they should want everyone to embrace and experience it.

I don't believe that's you in that photo - I've never seen you sporting such sideburns!

Nancy K

Anonymous said...

I realize that the following will not be a popular comment. However, as your convictions stand, so do mine.

I appreciate your thoughts and expressions of what your experiences have been. Thank you for your openness. However, as an evangelical Christian, this is not about denying anyone their existence or about propogating ridicule or scorn about a gay lifestyle. It is simply upholding that the institution of marriage is reserved for a man and woman as it has been through all of society. The family and marriage is the foundation of our society.
Even in openly homosexual societies like early Greece, marriage was still an institution between a man and woman.

We (as Christians) are not saying that you do not have the right to be gay. Nor are we saying that we hate gays. Although we may not see this as the plan of God (and we have ALL sinned and fallen short of the glory of God), we do recognize that what one chooses to pursue in their personal life is within their control. Do not mistake hate for those who support Prop 8. That would be the opposite of what Christ taught. We are standing for principals that God set up before the foundation of his Creation.

God loves you and desires that you know Him personally.

Signed,
A Friend in Christ

Jennifer said...

i'm a christian. marry away, my gay friends! and be happy. jesus never mentioned homosexuality that we know of, but he did talk a lot about love. the more love the better.
i know my comment's late, but i just wanted to respond as another in Christ.